Did you know that Orlando was named “Best Place for a Dog-Friendly Vacation” because Orlando has more dog-friendly hotels, parks and shops than any other city in the U.S.?!
And with over 71 million households welcoming four-legged friends into their homes last year, it’s no wonder more travelers look to include their furry family members in their vacation and staycation plans.
Celebrating four-legged friends of all breeds, National Dog Day is beloved by fur parents all over on August 26!! It is the perfect time to plan a special Orlando staycation with your favorite four-legged friend or experience local pet-friendly events in the City Beautiful and surrounding areas.
Here are some of Orlando’s most unique places to stay, play and dine with man’s best friend.
Pups can join in on a variety of activities with the family at some of Orlando’s most unique attractions, including:
- Epic Paddle Adventures offers a fun way to hang out with your four-legged bestie – on the water! The “Paddle with Pups in Paradise” is a 90-minute paddleboat adventure on one of Orlando’s most beautiful lakes with views of the city skyline.
- Dinosaur World welcomes friendly pets on leashes. With more than a mile of outdoor walkways, pets have plenty of room to explore the park with their owners.
- The Mennello Museum of American Art offers pet memberships for dogs, cats and birds, and includes admission to pet events held throughout the year. Surrounded by a dog- friendly park, the museum allows visitors to entertain their companions while enjoying art.
RESTAURANTS & BARS
Pup-parents can savor a delicious meal with their dog at hundreds of Central Florida restaurants. Unique places to grab a drink with your pet include:
• Cups and Pups Coffee is Orlando’s first coffee shop paired with an off-leash dog park. Guests can sip craft coffee or other beverages while their furry friends enjoy the open space.
- Barxi Park in Lake Nona’s Boxi Park provides plenty of space for pups to explore while their owners enjoy unique cuisine from the park’s many outdoor counter-serve restaurants.
- Boozehounds Dog Bar is an off-leash dog park with a dog-friendly indoor bar in the middle.
- Motorworks Brewing’s large outdoor patio – or “beer garden” — is a dog friendly space to sip local brews, play games, and enjoy trivia night every Tuesday and live music on Fridays.
Boasting features such as natural bodies of water, dog baths, off-leash options and more, here are some of Orlando’s best outdoor destinations for pets:
- Bear Creek Nature Trail: Hike a mile-long trail brimming with ancient cypress, oak and palm trees. The trail is about 30 minutes north of downtown Orlando.
- Dog parks like Lake Baldwin Park and Meadow Woods Dog Park give four-legged friends the opportunity to run freely and play fetch with their humans.
- Lake Eola Park, located right in the heart of downtown Orlando with its majestic fountain, offers four-legged visitors beautiful views and surrounding pet-friendly restaurants.
Fifi and Fido can tag along for some souvenir hunting adventures at some of Central Florida’s most picturesque outdoor shopping destinations, including:
- Park Avenue in Winter Park – With pet-welcoming restaurants and shops, four-legged pals and their humans will enjoy the beauty, shopping and food offered through this historic district.
- Celebration Town Center – Featuring shopping, dog-friendly restaurants, a pet bakery, and miles of adjacent trails just minutes from Walt Disney World.
Dogs need their beauty rest, too. And with over 450 hotel properties across the destination, Orlando is sure to offer a comfy place for four-legged friends and their owners to catch some Z’s after a long day fun. These are some of the most notable properties.
- Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando Resort offers a specially designed program called Loews Loves Pets. The package begins with a personal note from the general manager with information on hotel pet services, dog-walking routes, local veterinarians, pet shops, groomers and more. All pets receive their own welcome amenities, including a Lowes Hotels bowl, placemat and a special treat to start their vacation.
- Walt Disney World’s Art of Animation Resort, Port Orleans Riverside Resort, Yacht Club Resort and Cabins at Disney’s Ft. Wilderness Resort welcome four-legged friends in designated floors or sections of the hotels. These resorts offer special touches like Pluto’s Welcome Kit upon check-in. These unique kits include a mat, bowls, pet ID tag, disposable bags, puppy pads and dog-walking maps.
• The Alfond Inn is a stylish boutique hotel in picturesque Winter Park that welcomes four- legged guests with its VIP (Very Important Pup) Package providing dog-friendly rooms, complimentary keepsake water bowls and signature treats at turndown.
• Puppy Paw-ty at Museum of Illusions Orlando – Central Florida’s newest mind-bending “edutainment” destination – gives museum guests and their fur babies a one-of-a-kind opportunity to capture lifetime memories with artsy, mind-bending snaps that are sure to go viral! The event will be held Saturday, Sept. 25 from 8-11 a.m.
- Celebrate National Dog Day all weekend long with @topdogexpress Car Wash!! All 7 of the Orlando-based Top Dog Express Car Washes will turn into on-site donation drop-off centers called “Stuff for Pups”. From Thursday, August 26th through Sunday, August 29th, Top Dog Express will be offering the following:
Each customer that donates a physical item to Stuff for Pups will receive a free car wash
Items Accepted are:
o Dry Pet food (Dogs and Cats)
o Litter Boxes for cats
o Unscented Baby wipes
o Wet Pet food (Dogs and Cats) o Puppy Training Pads
o Pet treats (Dogs and Cats)
o Pet toys (Dogs and Cats)
o Pet hygiene tools (Dogs and Cats)
Top Dog Express will also be passing out pet bandanas and frisbees (While supplies last and pets must be present to claim). Woof Gang Bakery has also donated treat bags for each of the locations to give out (While supplies last).
If guests need somewhere to house their pets throughout the course of their vacation, there are many options for them to choose from. Many of these are at or near some of Orlando’s most popular attractions.
- Happy Paws Pet Resort – Every detail was made to cater to a stress-free, fun stay at this state-of-the-art pet resort. The facility features a “bone shaped” salt water-based pool for relaxation and fun. Services include grooming, doggie day care, dog and cat boarding, training and other pet-oriented concierge services.
- At Best Friends Pet Hotel at Walt Disney World Resort, Orlando visitors can board their furry family friends in fun, yet luxurious accommodations on Walt Disney World property. This one-of-a-kind facility provides a full range of pet hospitality services including boarding, grooming and day camps. Lucky pet guests enjoy amenities like luxury suites with televisions and raised bedding, activities like nature walks and play groups, and pampering services ranging from ice cream desserts to bedtime stories.