Separating with your partner can be a challenging phase in adulthood. A divorce is a traumatic event that can lead to depression, anxiety, and stress. This event can cause financial and traumatic effects, which may lead to burnout.
If you’re not sure about how divorce works, you are encouraged to apply for a divorce with the assistance of family lawyers. They can represent you in cases that involve complexities that an average person never has to go through.
In this article, you’ll learn the basics of how divorce works and how to find a reliable divorce lawyer to guide you.
Why Married Couples Choose Divorce
There’s a variety of reasons why couples choose to file for a divorce, which includes:
- Domestic violence
This form of abuse doesn’t just focus on physical attacks. Mental and emotional distress may also happen after manipulative behaviors worsen as time passes. Domestic violence includes:
- Physical attacks: such as burning, damaging personal property, slapping, kicking, etc.
- Emotional attacks: such as blaming, shaming, isolation, stalking, extreme jealousy, etc.
- Sexual attacks: human trafficking, hurting partner during sex, forcing partner to have sex without protection, etc.
- Little to no child support
One of the reasons why wives file for divorce is because their husbands don’t support their children. Although the mother can pay for the expenses, the father still has to provide for their child.
- No arousal maintenance
Although sex is not the main reason for happy marriages, physical intimacy is vital in maintaining a marriage. Without it, the relationship between a man and a woman is solely based on what’s written on paper.
- Third parties
Just like a contract, marriage is a sacred union between two parties. Unless the couple agrees to an open relationship with others, having a third party may end a partnership.
Why Divorce is Better Than Toxic Marriage
While divorce is a stressful situation for the divorced wife for a short time, it also has positive effects on her. These effects include:
- A chance to find the right partner.
- Make time for your own personal development.
- There’s no need to force yourself to stay with someone you’ve outgrown.
- You can now focus on your kids instead of fixing a broken relationship with your husband.
- Your children will not feel the tension of your marriage anymore.
- More time to keep up with your friends.
How To Help Children Adjust During and After Divorce
Another thing to consider when going through a divorce is how you can maintain a positive relationship with your children. Here are four ways on how you can help them adjust during and after the divorce:
- Don’t fight in front of them: You’ll probably carry a lot of heavy emotions during the divorce, which is why you and your husband may have screaming sessions. It’s okay to communicate with him, but don’t scream at your children’s dad while your kids are around. Take your argument somewhere else.
- Involve others to support your child: Encourage them to seek support from a friend or an older relative.
- Don’t lie about the situation: Making excuses for their father’s absence will only make the situation worse in the long run.
- Communicate with them: While it’s difficult for a mom who’s grieving the loss of a partner, it’s important to talk to your child. Ask them how they think. However, if they require space, allow them to speak to someone else. Consider getting a therapist to help them understand the situation and how it may affect them in the future.
How Divorce Lawyers Can Help
As someone dealing with the emotional challenges brought by divorce, understanding legal terms should be the last thing on your mind. That’s why you should hire a divorce lawyer who can assist you in the process, so you don’t have to go through it alone. Here are three ways that a divorce lawyers can help you:
- Having legal expertise: All attorneys went to law school to learn about the most challenging legal terms and how they work. Having a divorce lawyer by your side can prevent you from committing legal mistakes, which means saving money.
- Helping in stress reduction: Going through a divorce involves emotional stress. Hiring a divorce lawyer may reduce your stress by taking in the paperwork and representing you in dealing with legal matters.
- Giving strategic advice and representation: Divorces can be messy. It’s difficult to stay focused on your goal while you’re dealing with strong emotions. You and your husband might argue with each other, causing you additional wounds. However, you can prevent this by having a divorce lawyer to give you advice.
How To Find Reliable Divorce Lawyers
Now that you know how important it is to have a divorce lawyer, you must choose a reliable one. Here’s what you should do when finding the right divorce lawyer to represent you:
- Know what divorce lawyers do.
- Set expectations for your divorce lawyer’s role.
- Choose the proper divorce process.
- Stick to your budget.
- Do your research.
- Seek advice from your family and friends.
- Prepare a list of questions.
With all the challenges divorce brings, legal matters should be the least of your worries. Having a reliable divorce lawyer can reduce your stress because they have enough legal knowledge to represent you in court.