Gift giving is an art in and of itself, and often it’s actually quite challenging to buy your loved ones something that is special, unique and reflective of their personality. When we have a hard time buying a gift, we often resort to gift cards, which can feel impersonal and cold.
But you don’t have to struggle to find a gift if you’re crafty! The greatest thing about having DIY prowess is that you can actually create gifts that your family or friends cannot find anywhere else.
There are so many great items you can put together very quickly and they can be gifts they can love and appreciate! From kids’ ornaments to personalized scrapbooks, gift creation is a place where you can really let your imagination lead you. Here are a few ideas for great gifts you can create yourself.
Everybody loves a piece of clothing that exudes individuality, but we usually wait for special occasions for them. Why not get your family member a friend a customized t-shirt, hoodie or sweater randomly because they’re just so awesome!?
It’s actually super easy to do – you just need a garment in their size and in a color they love.
Use a graphic design app to create a logo for your t-shirt. It can be their name, an empowering message or even their favorite reality show tagline. Use transfer paper to put the print on the garment and just like that your gift is good to go. If you’re wondering where to get great deals on transfer paper and even tutorials on printing, you can find a wealth of resources at craftingbesties.com.
Some of the greatest DIY gifts are actually quite easy to execute if you know the resources you need and a simple step-by-step process. One of those ideas is a custom label lotion, shower gel, hand wash and even shampoo.
Here’s how to do it;
- Buy inexpensive amber bottles from an online retailer
- Fill each bottle with shower gel, hand lotion, body lotion and shower gel to create a set.
- Go to an app like Canva and create a custom bottle label with their name and the product. Make the label super fancy so it looks like it’s from a hotel.
- Get the label printed on water-resistant self-adhesive paper
- Stick each label to its corresponding bottle.
- Pack the bottles into a chic basket or box.
Home Decor Gifts
If you’re thinking up a good gift idea for someone who loves decor, why not make something that can pretty up their space? Here are a couple of awesome ideas.
A good pair of bookends can actually be quite expensive, but you can pay a fraction of the price by creating your own. One of the coolest things you can create is a pair of bookends shaped like a hand.
- Buy a small packet of concrete and mix with water.
- Grab a latex glove and pour the concrete into it.
- Shape the concrete-filled glove into your desired look. For example you can position it so that the wrist part lays flat on the shelf and holds up the book. Make sure you also put it to dry in a way that makes sure the bottom part is flat. Leave it to dry in that position for 24 hours.
- Once dry, remove the latex, sand down any rough edges and then spray paint the bookends gold. Put them in a fancy box and prepare to delight the receiver of the gift. You have just given them a designer-level piece of furniture for less than $20!
Candles are another great gift idea, and we’re not talking about generic, ordinary candles. We’re talking pieces of decorative art that can be the centerpiece of a bookcase or server. You don’t have to pay a lot of money to create such a piece.
- Buy a candle mold from an online retailer. They come in so many different sizes and shapes, from greek-sculpture inspired figurines and arch shapes to twisted tapered candles that look expensive.
- Buy a scented candle that you know your friend/family member will love.
- Melt the candle by placing it in a container above a pot of boiling water (if the candle comes in its own container you can just place it in the pot).
- Put a wick into the new candle mold, pour the melted wax in and leave it to set over 24 hours.
It’s another simple gift that looks and feels expensive but is actually so easy to make at home.
Gifts don’t have to be boring. They can be fun, interesting and unique. If you’re gifted with creativity, and you have a love for DIY, this is one way you can use your hobby to put smiles on the faces of the people you love. It doesn’t have to be difficult, or time consuming to create a gift that’s filled with lots of love and attention to detail.