My girlfriends and I recently had a GNI — a Girls’ Night In! We decided to have a baking party where each of us chose a recipe and brought the ingredients. It worked out well that we each chose a different kind of baked good: a cobbler, a cookie, and these amazing cupcakes! In between the measuring, stirring and decorating, we drank sangria, laughed and had great conversation. These cupcakes melt in your mouth and aren’t too sweet or too spicy. The caramel buttercream is smooth, and overall, this totally put me in the mood for fall! And besides quality girl time, we got to sample each of our goodies and take them home.
Apple Spice Caramel Cupcakes
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup salted butter, slightly melted
1 large apple, peeled & chopped
fall cupcake liners
1 cup coconut oil shortening
1 cup butter
7 to 8 cups powdered sugar (watch consistency and determine what works for you)
1/2 cup Ghiardelli premium caramel sauce (squeeze bottle)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add egg whites, vanilla extract, sour cream, milk and butter and mix on medium speed until smooth. Do not over mix.
4. Stir in the chopped apple
5. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
6. Bake 17-19 minutes.
7. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove and place on a cooling rack.
1. Combine butter and coconut oil shortening and mix until smooth.
2. Add 3 to 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add Ghiardelli caramel sauce and mix until smooth.
4. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
5. Pipe icing onto the cupcakes.
6. Place cupcakes on a cookie sheet to keep decorating area contained, and add drizzles of caramel and sprinkles.
Makes 22-24 cupcakes
This recipe adapted from Life, Love and Sugar.