Hurricane Season is always a bit nerve wracking for me. As a survivor of MANY storms, including Andrew (1992 in Miami), Katrina, and Charlie, I am always a bit nervous when storm season approaches. The best thing to do is to be prepared. My hurricane starter kit is stocked up, ready to go in the event that a severe storm approaches. Here is a starter guide to making your storm kit.
Hurricane Starter Kit
In addition to your 72 hour kit, be sure to have:
- At least a 3-day and preferably a 7-day supply of water (one gallon per person per day)
- Non-perishable food
- Formula, diapers, and other baby supplies
- Manual can opener
- First aid kit
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines
- Cell phones and battery-powered cell phone chargers
- Battery-powered radios and flashlights
- Plenty of batteries
- Extra cash
- Blankets, sleeping bags, books, and games (especially if evacuating)
What do you have in YOUR kit?