We hear a lot about sustainability and we know that it’s something that is supposed to be good for us. Yet most of us are not quite sure what it means to be sustainable, or how we can incorporate sustainability into our everyday lives. The good news is that understanding sustainability and making it a priority is not only easy, it is something that everyone can do and feel good about. The kitchen is a great place to start for those who want to make some healthy green changes in their lives.
Sustainability, according to the United Nations, is defined as meeting the needs of the present without compromising our future generations to meet their own needs. Essentially, when you opt for sustainability, you will be making choices that won’t harm the planet in the future. While you want to be able to use the products that you need today, you don’t want to do so at the expense of tomorrow.
The kitchen is a great place to start, because the choices we make that are related to this room in the home is linked to sustainability in a big way. From buying more organic products to creating a compost bin for scraps, there is a lot people can do to help create a greener and more eco-friendly kitchen.
Here are 6 ways to make your kitchen more sustainable:
- Recycle. Keep a little basket on the counter, or bin in the cupboard, where you can toss items that need to recycled when you are cooking or putting away groceries!
- Reduce waste. The United State Department of Agriculture reports that food waste is estimated to be 30-40% of the food supply. Think about how often you toss leftovers or find things that have gone bad in the fridge. Reduce the amount of food waste you are creating by only buying what you need, freezing what you can’t use right away, not making more than you need, and giving away leftovers that you otherwise won’t eat.
- Buy organic and local. Make an effort to purchase more foods that are organic and made locally, to reduce pollution and the carbon footprint.
- Check your dishes. Not all dishes and cookware are made sustainably. Some have traveled thousands of miles to reach America, and are made through means that were not environmentally friendly. Opt for items that are more eco friendly, such as the sustainable glasses by Neutrall, which are carbon neutral and made in the USA.
- Opt for natural cleaning. Cleaners with harsh ingredients are not only bad for the environment, but they are bad for human health as well. Opt for non-toxic cleaners that are all plant based.
- Commit to green choices. The first step to creating a greener and more sustainable kitchen is to make the commitment to do so. It’s easy for people to continue with what they have been doing, but when you rise to the challenge and make some changes you will feel great knowing you are helping the planet be healthier for generations to come.
“It’s not difficult for people to become more sustainable, especially if they start in the kitchen,” explains Sarah Scott Mitchell, co-owner of Neutrall, a company specializing in sustainable glassware. “It’s really just a matter of knowing some of the different things you can do to live a life that is considered to be more sustainable. The more people know, the easier it becomes.”
We are loving our Neutrall glassware. It is pretty and ALL Neutrall glassware is made in the USA, upcycled, sustainable, and is shipped in eco-friendly packaging. The company was created by Sarah Scott Mitchell and Ernesto Humpierres, who live in Austin, Texas, with their young twins. The first product launched by Neutrall is a set of two upcycled 8-ounce glass cups that are shipped in sustainable packaging. The sturdy and compact glasses are great for morning juices and drinks, and great for small hands. They are great for families, and to give as gifts for weddings and house warmings. To get more information about Neutrall or to place an order head over to their website!