Moms who volunteer at their kids’ schools are the unsung heroes of the education system. We wear many hats, from helping out in the classroom to organizing school events. But one of our most important — and challenging — roles is collecting funds from other parents for teacher birthdays, class activities, and holiday gifts.
We are often referred to as “room parents” or “room moms”— we are the glue that holds the classroom community together. We are the ones who coordinate teacher appreciation gifts, organize holiday parties, decorate the classroom doors, and make sure that every child feels welcome and included.
Volunteering as a room parent is a great way to:
- Get to know your child’s teacher and classmates better.
- Make a difference in your child’s school community.
- Meet other moms who share your interests.
- Have fun and make new friends!
- Celebrate your teachers and show them how loved they are!
Being a room parent is a big job, but it is also a very rewarding one.
We moms who volunteer our time and energy to our kids’ schools are making a real difference in the lives of our children and our communities, but we also want to make a difference in the lives of our teachers — the REAL MVPs! And the only way we can do that and make their lives easier is with the support of all of the parents in the class.
Here are just a few of the things that room parents do to help teachers:
- Collect payments from other parents for teacher gifts and holidays.
- Organize and coordinate classroom parties and events.
- Help teachers with classroom activities and projects.
- Communicate with parents about school events and activities.
- Advocate for the needs of their children and their school community.
The hardest and most challenging job of a room mom is collecting funds for various class activities and gifts — it is a necessary evil we have to do. Some things we have to collect for class events, gifts, door decor, parties, etc. As a room mom for four children over the last 15 years, I was THRILLED beyond measure to find a solution to collecting these payments from other class parents. Gone are the days of cash and check in a secret envelope. Since COVID, I have been using Venmo, Zelle, and Apple Pay. However, giving parents so many options is HARD! And tracking all the payments is even harder.
The all-in-one solution for room parent volunteers
In comes Cheddar Up to rescue me from the relentless task of collecting funds from so many places, creating sign-up forms, and communicating individually about the various events and activities.
You can use Cheddar Up to collect money and forms online at zero cost to your group, plus you can communicate all in one place too! Signing up is quick, easy, and FREE!
Once you’re done…
Create a collection page in just minutes and then share your link. Everyone can pay online in one click — no account or app is needed! Easy peasy!
- Customize your collection
- Add Items
- Add forms, waivers, or sign-ups
- Customize collection settings
- Share Your Collection
Cheddar Up also allows you to collect signups and forms for things like:
- Snack sign-ups
- Potlucks for the teachers
- Consent forms for field trips
- School events like STEAM night or Carnival
I love being a room mom and now my job will be so much easier! I just wish I had known about it BEFORE this school year began!
If you are a mom who is thinking about volunteering as a room parent, here are a few tips:
- Talk to your child’s teacher to see if they have any specific needs or requests.
- Set realistic expectations for yourself and your time commitment.
- Be organized and communicate effectively with other parents.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from other room parents or the school administration.
- Use Cheddar Up to collect funds, create forms, and communicate about the class events.
Thank you to all the room moms and volunteers out there! You are appreciated!
Cheddar Up is FREE for families but if you decide to go pro or create a team account, here is 40 percent off a Cheddar Up plan! Use code* ORLANDOMOM40 (valid until December 31st!)
Now that I have Cheddar Up, I’ll be using it for EVERYTHING!
From baseball fundraising to my business events! And because of my involvement at school, I will be bringing Cheddar Up to the attention of our PTO Board and all the other room moms! What an enhancement to how we’ve always done things!
More Ideas for using Cheddar Up:
Teacher Gifts: Whether you’re collecting for an individual teacher or the entire staff, Cheddar Up helps you pool money online for a teacher gift collection — free.
Team Sports: From tournaments to team fees and fundraising to coach gifts, Cheddar Up helps you collect team payments online for free.